“To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation.”Bright New Day. Welcome welcome 2017.
Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist
It’s Sunday and life is finally starting to get back to normal. What could be better than a lazy day in bed with a great book (The Alchemist), tea, and the blank canvas of a new year?
Ritual : Sacred Daily Practices.
What are your New Year’s traditions? I like to clean and organize my home, write down intentions for the new year, and establish new morning and evening routines. This year I wanted to explore ritual.
For me a ritual is something akin to a habit – only more sacred. Instead of designing a new routine like years past – I’m focusing on creating “sacred daily practices”. My life has shifted recently, and I find myself with more time for personal development and self-care.
There are four keys to developing a sacred daily practice:
- Keep it simple. Often we overwhelm ourselves in the new year by trying to change too many things too quickly. Instead, think about the next year of your life as a long-term investment plan. Make small daily deposits, and watch as your efforts rapidly compound.
- Write it down. Make a list of your daily practices to hang somewhere you’ll see when you first wake up in the morning. It will take a while for these practices to become automatic. Remind yourself of your intentions as often as possible.
- One thing at a time. Multi-tasking is a myth. Our brains are only capable of processing one thing at a time. When you eat, do nothing but eat. When you work, do nothing but work. Pay attention to your life. Approach your life as the miracle it is, and watch as ordinary moments take on sacred qualities.
- Feel more. Do less. Western society is obsessed with doing. Do more faster. No pain. No gain. Horseshit. I have nothing against working hard. But if you really want to call the sacred into your life, you have to get out of your head and into your body. Rumi said, “The quieter you become the more you can hear”. Use these rituals to cultivate your intuition – and use your intuition to help guide you on the path to discovering your Personal Legend.
The number 108 keeps resurfacing for me, so I decided to develop 3 new rituals for the first 108 days of 2017.
- Morning Meditation with Chanting1
- Yoga (PP)
- Solvitur Ambulando2
- Evening Meditation with Pranayama3
That’s it. Simple. Clear. Easy. No fanfare. Nothing outside the ordinary. Ritual does not require complexity to be effective. What rituals will you cultivate in 2017?